Early in 1952, a number of members associated with the Brighton Golf Club were not in favour of building a clubhouse adjacent to the Municipal Golf Course and initiated a meeting of golfers interested in forming another Club to use the same course. Thus Nepean Golf Club came into being and a handful of associates opened their season on March 12, 1952. The Nepean Associates were admitted to the Victorian Ladies Golf League in 1953, needing to form a separate identity from the Nepean men, and in 1954 the Nepean ladies won both B and C Pennant flags. In 2005 the club won both A and D Pennant flags.
For many years Nepean had no clubhouse and committee meetings were held in the toilet block at the end of the cafe or at member’s homes. When a new Pro shop was to be built, a move was made to rent the old shop and use it as a clubhouse. Permission was granted in 1980 and Nepean had their own clubhouse named “The Pavilion”, where it remains today.
In the late 1980s the Nepean men re-located to Malvern and the ladies were left at Brighton as the Nepean Associates. In 2001 the club’s name was changed to Nepean Women’s Golf Club Inc.
Nepean has become more than a club – it is a fellowship and a community, where members can relax with friends as well as play stimulating and competitive golf.
History of Individual Events
Started in 1983, by the respective captains of the day, Beryl Moy of Nepean and Rosemary Birdseye of Brighton, as a friendly but competitive matchplay event between Nepean and Brighton. The event is hosted alternate years by the clubs and is played on the host’s club day for the honour of having the Brighton Shield in their club house for the following year. In 2011 the competition was drawn for the first time in its history.
This has been a part of our syllabus for many years. It is traditionally donated by the Captain of the day and has always been a Par event.
An integral part of any golf club, the championships started the year after inauguration in 1953. In 2012 the 3 round event was moved from June to September.
Betty Montgomery Perpetual Trophy for best Nett of Championships
Betty Montgomery joined the club in 1957 and initiated this trophy in 1966. The trophy itself is a cup which the winner holds for the year. Betty was the Club champion 5 times, represented Nepean in Pennant and sponsored this trophy until she passed away in 2014.
Pat Hughes Perpetual Putting Trophy of Championships
The Putting Trophy of the Championships was renamed as the Pat Hughes in 1985. Pat, a Life Member since 1992, donated the trophy until 2000 when Sue Blackley took over in Pat’s memory until 2006. From 2008 Beth Sturt has sponsored this event.
It is unknown how long we have had the Eclectic competitions but probably for most of the club’s history. The Best Handicap Reduction trophy was instigated by the captain of the day, Meredith Ramadan, in 2010 and the trophy is donated by Brighton’s Club Professional Travis Harrison.
Unknown when this event started but was named the Granny Morgans Trophy after Sue Morgans, the then President in the early 1980s. A single Stableford round event (except for 1997 where it featured as a 2 round event), it was renamed the Grandma’s Trophy in 1998. Until 2014 this trophy was donated by our past long standing Treasurer and Life Member from 2002 – 2016, Tress Oliver.
Life Members’ Trophy
In 2015, the club wished to honour our most recent Life Member at that time, Sandra Ritchie, who passed away in 2014. It was decided, however, that this trophy should encompass all Life Members, both past and present, and honour them all for their long and dedicated service to the club.
Created in 2005 as the Gary Dixon Trophy. Gary was the Manager and Professional at that time when On Course was managing the Brighton course. LMS took over the management of the course in 2009 when it became the LMS Trophy.
Margaret King Matchplay
This event was started in 1995 in memory of Margaret King who died too early in 1992 after just completing her Captaincy. The event is designed to encourage an appreciation of matchplay. It was renamed Nepean Matchplay in 2006 but reinstated as the Margaret King Matchplay in 2008.
This event began in 1998 as the Waterford Trophy, which was awarded for the best total nett score of six Medal Days. Its’ precursor was probably the Consistancy Trophy which finished in 1993. These both rewarded consistant golf. In 2007 it was revamped as a 2 round Stableford event and was jointly sponsored by Sandra Ritchie and Maxine Adam until Sandra passed away in 2014.
Commenced in 1994 as a replacement to the Adele Kennedy Trophy, Adele was a Captain in the mid 1980s. Our past long time handicapper and Life member from 2006 – 2017, Elsie Dean, wished to donate a perpetual trophy and chose to call it the Nepean Trophy. It is now known as the Nepean Plate.
Nepean Rose Bowl
Started in 2000 as a replacement to the Nola Stark Memorial Trophy, Nola having been a past Treasurer and Captain and a Life Member of the club since 1975. This new event was instigated by the President at the time, Maxine Adam, and the format was changed to 2 rounds of Par instead of Stroke.
First played in 1989.
This has been a part of our Syllabus for many years. It is traditionally donated by the President of the day and was changed from Par to Stroke in 1997 by the then President, Val Gallagher.
Another long standing competition which was added to in 1993 by the Captain of the day, Penny Price, who objected to not being old enough to have a competition to play. So she introduced the Baby Veterans category for those under fifty. The categories are now Veteran, Senior and Junior.